Cahn & Parra LLC - Attorneys At Law
Vigorously advocating the client's interest 732-650-0444
The Firm
The Attorneys
Practice Areas
Representative Clients
Technology in the Courtroom
In The News
Web Resources
Contact Us

Personal Injury-Wrongful Death FAQ

The Identity Theft Affidavit simplifies the process of disputing fraudulent debts and accounts opened by an identity thief. Instead of completing different forms, you can use the ID Theft Affidavit to alert companies where a new account was opened in your name.

The company can then investigate the fraud and decide the outcome of your claim.

What To Do If You Are a Victim of Identity Theft

  • Contact the three major credit bureaus. Equifax: (800) 525-6285; Experian: (888) 397-3742; and Trans Union: (800) 680-7289. Ask them to place a fraud alert on your credit report. Include a statement that asks creditors to call you for permission before any new accounts are opened in your name. A "victim's statement" should also be placed in your file to direct creditors to call you if any new accounts are opened in your name.

  • Contact creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened without your knowledge. Be sure to put complaints in writing. Creditors include credit card companies, utility companies, including land and cell phones, and banks and other lenders. The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires written notification, so make sure to follow up each phone call with a letter. Close all your accounts and open new ones with new personal identification numbers and passwords.

  • Contact the FTC: (877) 438-4338. While federal investigators only tend to pursue larger, more sophisticated fraud cases, they do monitor identity theft crimes of all levels in the hopes of discovering patterns and breaking up larger rings. Fill out the ID Theft Affadavit a the FTC's Web site, make copies and send to creditors. The agency also has an online complaint form.

  • Report the theft with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft occurred. Fill out a police report, and consider signing a written affidavit verifying that unauthorized transactions on your account are fraudulent. Get a copy of the report and send copies to creditors and credit bureaus as proof of the crime.

  • Report the fraud to the Office of the Inspector General's fraud hotline

The Three Major Credit Bureaus

Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
Web site:

Experian (formerly TRW)
National Consumer Assistance Center
PO Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
Web site:

TransUnion LLC
Consumer Disclosure Center
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
Web site:


This publication and the information included in it are not intended to serve as a substitute for consultation with an attorney. Specific legal issues, concerns and conditions always require the advice of appropriate legal professionals.

View Previous Months Selection

What must a plaintiff prove to recover for an assault or battery?

If a dog bites a person, is the owner liable for doctor's bills?

What does a person have to prove to win a slander or libel claim?

Does the average member of the public have any privacy rights?

Can a person recover damages for injuries sustained on someone else's property?

Is an owner of property liable for using deadly force to defend their property?

What remedies does a railroad worker, who is injured while working, have?

What is a slip and fall action?

Can anyone bring a wrongful death claim?

Learn More: Plaintiff's Personal Injury Law

The Firm | The Attorneys | Practice Areas | Class Actions | Representative Clients | Technology in the Courtroom | In The News | FAQs | Web Resources | Contact Us | Directions | Home

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

2007 Copyright © by Cahn & Parra, LLC. All rights reserved. You may reproduce materials available at this site for your own personal use and for non-commercial distribution. All copies must include this copyright statement.



Printable Version Email This Page